Thursday, February 17, 2011

Peanut Butter Soupçons


For those of us that are not so monitarily inclined, we are left with few options when it comes time to nibble. We may not always be able to indulge, but we shouldn't succumb to noxious eating patterns. (the college "Ramen diet", or Fast Food Circuit) Fortunately, having less money makes one more inventive and advantageous by nature.

I don't consider myself a great cook (more an inexperienced one) but through times of drought I have thrown together a few interesting snacks and meals that are not only healthy, but economical and copious. I feel as though I should share these things with anyone who is in need of fast, inexpensive meal options. (whether you are a starving artist, student, druggie... what have you)

I give you "Peanut Butter Soupçons"


Ingredients:



PEANUT BUTTER

I highly recommend using one of ten "Peanut Butter & Co." flavors (you can really mix it up this way)






I have chosen Skippy Natural Peanut Butter because it has little ingredients (Roasted Peanuts, Sugar, Palm Oil, & Salt.) and I can pick it up from a store within walking distance. If I have extra money for the train I can go to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods to pick up something healthier... but, they tend to also be pricier, so why not make your own?


CEREAL



Kashi Go Lean Crunch is what I currently have. It's great for this because not only does it taste great and is good for you (9g of protein to keep you full longer, 8g of fiber, and 7 Whole Grains) but it has a good texture and really completes this snack.




Directions:
Now simply take any spoon and scoop up a desired amount of peanut butter, then generously dip it in your selected cereal (that is now in a bowl or other container) and voilà! Repeat as desired and you will be left feeling healthy and full... until your next craving. I know what you're thinking.


"But Daniel, that is just a spoonful of peanut butter with cereal on it"


and, good golly you're right! ... (This is also a fun snack because you can combine so many different kinds of peanut butter and cereal... the options are only as limited as your budget/kitchen contents)



If you have an oven (which I do not) and a little more money/ingredients, you can take an even bigger step with this idea. I googled peanut butter and cereal recipes just to see what all was out there and found that Skippy actually has a recipe for "CHEWY PEANUT BUTTER CEREAL COOKIES". These are great for on-the-go but have added sugar.



<3 div="div">

No comments:

Post a Comment